Monday, January 23, 2012

Runebergin torttu

Here is a post that I originally posted some time back. Runebergin päivä is coming up soon -  make sure to try one of these cakes, which are based on a recipe developed by his wife Fredrika.

The 5th of February is Runebergin päivä (Runeberg Day). Johan Ludvig Runeberg lived from 1804 until 1877. He is the national poet of Finland, perhaps best known as the author of Saarijärven Paavo and The Tales of Ensign Stål, the prologue of which became the lyrics for the Finnish national anthem Maamme.


Runebergin torttu, as made by Elonen

The tasty tortes made in honor of J.L. Runeberg usually hit the stores here in Finland several weeks before the holiday which is celebrated in his honor.

A recipe that I found for these sweet, moist, almondy little cakes. I have to admit I haven't tried this recipe. If you do, let me know how it works out.

2 comments:

  1. I like the fact that it's already in metric, so I don't have to worry about some website's messed-up automated conversion or 3 extra minutes with a calculator.

    BTW, do you know of any decent cooking sites that are entirely in metric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually looked. I've got U.S measures if I need them and actually some of the metric measures that I have actually have cups marked on them too. Of course, cooking sites in Finnish are in metric. Unless I'm baking I don't really measure ingredients anyways.

    ReplyDelete