Saturday, April 30, 2011

A few things to do on Vappu (May Day) in Jyväskylä

This coming Sunday (the first of May) is International Workers Day. In Finland the holiday begins the on May Day Eve and is celebrated by the students, the workers, and pretty much everyone else.

There will be all kinds of action in Jyväskylä on Vappu. Here are a few things that I would suggest checking out.

The Vappu dance party at Vakiopaine, which starts at 3 p.m.:



The festivities in Lounaispuisto (across from the university library)which are being organized by SAK - The Central Organization of Finnish Trade Unions. The event starts in the park at noon.




Also beginning at noon at Harju (the big hill covered with pine trees near downtown the university students will be having their traditional Vappu picnic.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Willie,

    Nice blog! I moved here to Jyväskylä a few months ago and have been trying to figure the place out. Wish I had stumbled onto your blog sooner. I'm gonna have to read your old posts to get an idea of all the cools things I have to do before I leave at the end of the summer :(

    Paljon kiitos!

    Binh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope that my posts provide you with some ideas of things to do and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that Vakiopaine video makes me
    want to come see this place. May Day!

    ReplyDelete