Friday, March 18, 2011

Mämmi - malted rye pudding

This was originally posted last year.

It came to my attention that I hadn't eaten mämmi for over 20 years. In other words, I had no idea what mämmi really tasted like.

Mämmi is a malted rye pudding flavored with orange peel that can be found easily at any grocery store for a few weeks before Easter. Much humor has been generated by its appearance alone. Plenty of other people have made scatological reference to mämmi already so I won't bother to do so myself.



Porkkamäki maalaismämmi - (Porkkamäki "country-style" mämmi)



Mämmi, up close and personal

We had a few non-Finnish guests over last night so we decided to serve mämmi (in addition to other things). I have to admit that I found it to be quite tasty in a malty rye with citrus highlights kind of way. All three of our guests liked it too, going so far as to have second helpings. By this informal survey we can conclude that 100 % of foreigners enjoy the taste of mämmi.

Mämmi is traditional served with sugar and cream. As I discovered last night, it also tastes pretty good all on its own.

Some stores actually carry mämmi in their freezer section year round. Perhaps the mämmi producers of Finland need to come up with a new advertising campaign: Mämmi - not just for Easter anymore.

Article about the Finnish Mämmi Association

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! you can include me and my husband in the 100% foreigners who like mämmi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm impressed! After all, I'm a native Finn myself and I've never even dared to taste that thing! To me it smells suspicious and looks nauseating... maybe I should be brave and try as well since you guys were able to like it. :D

    ReplyDelete