Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summer vacation

Workers in Finland receive 30 days of summer vacation annually. There are also 14 additional paid holidays throughout the year. I'm still on summer holiday for the next few days. Here are a few of the things I've been doing during the last few weeks:

Of course, I have been fishing. This summer I've only managed to fish Lake Lappajärvi (in Etelä-Pohjanmaa) and Lake Tuomiojärvi (located just a few minutes by bicycle from downtown Jyväskylä).


This nice little brown trout (1 kilo/2.2 lbs) came out of Lake Lappajärvi. I was fishing with a Bete Lotto spinner in the afternoon.


I also managed to do a little work in my allotment garden here in Jyväskylä. The city offers allotments for rent at a variety of locations. This summer I've been focusing on acorn squash.


Acorn Squash. Variety: Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato. Thelma Sanders is a vining squash. I baked the first of the season last night and was pleased with the texture and flavor. An early variety. I'll probably be growing this again next year.


Acorn squash. Variety:Table King A bush squash, the plants take up very little space and seem to be fairly productive. Also an early variety. I'll definitely be growing this one again next year.

We've been for a few drives out in the country.


Late summer view of Lake Lappajärvi. Taken on Kärnänsaari Island.

After a long break I put the katiska back in Lake Tuomiojärvi. The next day I had enough perch to make a meal for five people.


Pulling the katiska into the boat. This particular fish trap was made by Weke.


This perch weighed a little over 600 grams (a little over 1 lb).

No comments:

Post a Comment