Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ruthin Leipomon Arinalimppu

Since few weeks a go, a great local option has been available in the bread section of grocery stores in Jyväskylä. After about a ten year absence, Ruthin Leipomo (Ruth's Bakery) has resumed production.

I wasn't in Jyväskylä when Ruthin Leipomo quit baking (year 2000 I guess) so I am completely unqualified to make any comparisons between the breads produced by the old bakery and the ones produced today, but as a guy who appreciates good local food in any form I can say that their arinalimppu (rough translation - hearth loaf) is absolutely spectactular.

With a nice and crunchy crust that takes a little bit of toothwork to get through, revealing a lovely, soft center, this is sour rye at its finest.

I hope that the rest of Jyväskylä comes to the same conclusion that I have and begins to buy this local bread regularly. With a bit of consumer power behind them, this local company can succeed (where a national corporation has failed) and provide good bread (and jobs) to the people who live in our fine city.





3 comments:

  1. And how much is that bread? Cause I'm coming to Jyvaskyla this August for Erasmus and I've heard that food and especially bread is horrendously expensive in Finland. I hope that's just some myth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it depends on what you think is expensive. I can't remember what I paid for this particular loaf, but it was probably a little over 2 €. A meal at the student cafeterias at the university (with student ID card discount) will set you back about 2,60€.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the memory of these pictures was making my mouth water, so I had to come and take a look at them again.... looks so good!! :~j

    ReplyDelete