We finally made it to the marketplace for the first time since we got back to Finland last week. I decided that since the proper ingredients could be found from local producers, it was high time that we enjoy some kesäkeitto. Since summer has officially begun, why not celebrate the fact with a nice pot of Summer Soup?
I'm recycling part of a blog post from last year, mainly because the recipe works and works well. - Why reinvent the wheel?
Kesäkeitto is simple and when preparing food is concerned, simple is good.
To make kesäkeitto for 4 people you will need the following ingredients (the fresher the better):
1 small cauliflower or half of a larger one
6-8 teeny tiny baby carrots (real baby carrots - not the ones that have been whittled out of big carrots) or 3-4 not-so-tiny carrots
about 6 new potatoes
a few handfulls of shelled peas
about 3 cups of water (that's about 7 dl)
salt (use something good that doesn't taste of iodine)
2 tablespoons of flour (wheat or all-purpose)
about 2 cups of milk (4-5 dl)
about 1/3 cup of cream (1/2 dl)
1 egg yolk
1. Prep your vegetables. Mine ended up looking like this:
I happened to have a stalk that was left from a head of broccoli, so I peeled and sliced it and threw it into the mix.
2. Salt the water and bring it to a boil. Add the cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes. Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, or until they begin to become tender.
3. Mix the flour with a splash of milk until smooth. Add this mixture and the rest of the milk to the vegetables and saltwater. Simmer for another 3 -5 minutes or so, while constantly stirring.
4. Add the peas and some coarse ground black pepper. Turn off the heat.
5. Mix the cream with the egg yolk using a fork or a whisk. Temper this mixture with a few spoonfuls of the hot soup and then add to the kettle. Stir the soup well, put the lid on the kettle and let it rest for a few minutes.
6. Add a handfull of chopped parsley and you are good to go. Serve with real butter and your favorite bread.
The finished product should look something like this:
Kesäkeitto aka Summer soup