Friday, April 9, 2010

Finnish cultural assimilation lesson number 57 - alapesusuihku

Quite often new immigrants are confused about the mini-shower found in many Finnish restrooms, both public and private. My fellow immigrants, if you haven't already learned what this device is, let me give you a hint. It is not a drinking fountain.

The alapesusuihku is a handy innovation that you will find in practically every Finnish WC. Dish-sprayer meets bidet, giving one a chance to freshen up "down there" both safely and conveniently.



The butt sprayer usually uses the same plumbing as the bathroom sink. Turn on the water, adjust the temperature, grab the sprayer and engage in a bit of personal hygiene! You don't want to be known as the foreigner with the stinky posterior!




Close-up of the sprayer apparatus


This classic advertisement will give you an idea of how to use the alapesusuihku if my instructions didn't come through clear enough.



What an effective bit of advertising. It's no wonder that this handy innovation caught on so effectively here in Finland!

13 comments:

  1. very informative haha! and that advert is HILARIOUS!! Now I want to install one of these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, I'm starting to sense a theme in these last three posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your way of looking at things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly hope the model in the ad was paid the true value of his shame :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be great if some newspaper were to do a "Where are they now?-type story" about the model who posed for this ad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had debates over this the whole trip - thanks for clearing up the mystery for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Maktaag, glad to have been able to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the impression that anyone could get a job in an ad agency back then..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, alapesusuihku is not nearly as weird as a douche. I had a similar amused/amazed experience about them when I moved from Finland to the States :) It goes both ways...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is nice to use one, want to put one in my house in USA>

    ReplyDelete