Thursday, March 4, 2010

Project jalapeño - an update

I have previously posted about project jalapeño, in which I moved a jalapeño plant from the garden to our kitchen. It has sinced flowered and produced jalapeños throughout the winter and fall.

A few weeks ago I decided to take a cutting from the plant to see if it would produce roots. This worked out quite nicely, with the cutting (taken from below an internode ), sprouting roots after just a week or so in an old bottle with some tap water.








I planted the rooted cutting in a well-rinsed yogurt container. I poked some wholes in the bottom of the container for drainage. This explains the tin can dripcatcher.





The new jalapeño started flowering last week. Once the flowers opened I tranfered pollen from flower to flower with my fingertips. I plan on tranfering this plant to one of our gardens, most likely at the end of May.

1 comment: