Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Runebergin torttu - Runeberg's torte

The 5th of February is Runebergin päivä (Runeberg Day). Johan Ludvig Runeberg lived from 1804 until 1877. He is the national poet of Finland, perhaps best known as the author of Saarijärven Paavo and The Tales of Ensign Stål, the prologue of which became the lyrics for the Finnish national anthem Maamme.


Runebergin torttu, as made by Elonen

The tasty tortes made in honor of J.L. Runeberg usually hit the stores here in Finland several weeks before the holiday which is celebrated in his honor.

A recipe that I found for these sweet, moist, almondy little cakes. I have to admit I haven't tried this recipe. If you do, let me know how it works out.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen these in the coffee shops and wondered about them. I'll try one this week in honor of Runebergin! Is any of his poetry translated to English?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if he is in English or not. I would imagine that some of his work must have been translated since he is a major figure in the history of Finnish literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runeberg's Fänrik Ståls sägner has apparently been translated into English. Try googling for The Tales of Ensign Stål.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that The Tales of Ensign Stål must be available in at least some Finnish libraries. You may be able to find a copy at the University of Jyväskylä library. They seem to have a pretty good collection. If not, perhaps the Jyväskylä City Library?

    ReplyDelete