Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kaj Chydenius, Ritva Sorvali, and Minja Koski at Vakiopaine

We were extremely lucky to have a show of this caliber at Vakkari. Kaj Chydenius is a Finnish composer who has written music for decades. He is known for composing the music for political songs in the sixties and seventies but he has also done much more than just that. He has also set Finnish poetry to music, reinterpreted old folk songs, and composed music for theater presentations.

The gig last Sunday at Vakiopaine was just great! I don't know what else to say besides that. Ritva Sorvali and Minja Koski provided the vocals to Chydenius' accompaniment on piano. I don't know why I didn't think of shooting some video.











A video of Kalliolle kukkullalle, a Chydenius rewrite of an old Finnish folk song. The Chydenius version has become a classic in its own right. The video clip is from an Oktober Klub performance in the DDR, most likely filmed in 1973(in German, then in Finnish.




The lyrics for this song in Finnish:

Kalliolle kukkulalle
rakennan minä majani.
Tule, tule, tyttö nuori,
jakamaan se mun kanssani.
Jollen minä sinua saa,
niin lähden täältä kauas pois.
Muille maille vierahille,
etten sua nähdä vois.

My off the cuff translation:

On a rocky hill
I will build my home
Young woman come along
to share it with me.
If I can't have you
then I'll go far away from here
to a foreign land
so I won't see you anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment