Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ruukin tervasinappi - Ruukki pine tar mustard



I picked up a bottle of this mustard at Ween Maan Wiljaa a few weeks back. Finns use pine tar to waterproof boats, mix it in soaps and shampoos, and also use it as a flavoring for food and sweets. One can find pine tar candy, pine tar liquor, pine tar sauces for meat and fish. I had never seen pine tar mustard before so I decided to give it a try.

From what I can deduce by reading the label, this is a standard Finnish mustard cut with pine tar booze. In my opinion they could have used a stronger mustard and even more of the pine tar flavor. Not a bad product as is, but I feel there could be room for improvement.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if it is still is, but pine tar used to be used to treat wounds and other ailments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pine tar soaps and shampoos are intended for skin conditions and dandruff, but lots of people use them just because they like the smell - myself included.

    ReplyDelete