Wednesday, September 30, 2009

maissi - corn

As some of you may well be aware, I like to eat corn on the cob. It's a food that I learned to appreciate at a very young age. My old man grew sweet corn every summer when I was a kid.

Most corn on the cob available in Finland is from Spain or Israel. Usually it is pre-cooked, so all you have to do is heat it up. It's corn, it's on the cob, it is not sweet.

Corn on the cob, like asparagus, is better when fresh. Absolutely fresh. I'm talking minutes here.

Tired of inferior product, I embarked on a mission - to grow my own sweet corn on a rocky lakeshore under tall pines - in Finland.

After last weekend I can say that the project was a success.










The vegetables have all been eaten. The garden will be resting for about 8 months or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment