Tuesday, April 21, 2009

signs of life

I like gardening and caring for plants in general. It probably dates back to when my dad ran a greenhouse. Some of my earliest memories are of going to work with him.
I've pretty much always managed to raise plants of one kind or another throughout my adult life. Now that I'm an apartment dweller my only outdoor gardening opportunity is at my in-laws summer place.

The Finnish summer is fast approaching, and I decided to get a head start on some of the trickier plants to raise to maturity outdoors in Finland - sweet corn and sunflowers.

My studio gets excellent light in the springtime. I decided to start my plants there, rather in the kitchen at home as I did last year.




The essentials. Jiffy pots, seeds, soil, and a container for the
pots. This year I decided to try one of those low plastic containers
on wheels used for under-bed storage.





Step one. Put the soil in the Jiffy pots.





If your soil is dry, add water.






Plant the seeds according to the instructions on the package.



The seeds that I am starting indoors this year:


A basic tall, yellow sunflower.





Sweet corn "Lumidor"-an early maturing F1 hybrid.




Sunflower variety "Cherry Rose"






Put the pots in a sunny place and wait.





Five days later and germination is well under way.






The sweet corn is between 1-2 centimeters high. The sunflowers
are between 1-4 centimeters high. Yesterday there was no
sign of germination whatsoever.


I'm hoping to be able to get these in the ground outdoors by the end of May. I'm planning on planting carrots, various salad types, peas, sugar-snap peas, as well as tomatoes. the tomatoes I plan on purchasing from a greenhouse. Lots of my herbs are perennial and actually manage to survive the Finnish winter. I started asparagus from seed last year and I am looking forward to the first harvest which should take place next year.

I will make further gardening updates as the summer progresses.

3 comments:

  1. I really works for you? I tried it few times, and all the seeds I put back in my garden just died. I don't know how did it happen, but they just disappeared.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you live in a dry,arid climate, it is probably best to start seeds indoors so you can control their environment. Native plants should not be a problem though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, living in the desert, I'm not even trying, but I tried when I lived in Poland. Maybe I used the wrong seeds or did something wrong. I mostly buy little plants, seeds are too much trouble as for me. :)

    ReplyDelete