Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sauna at Telakka

While in Tampere a few days back, my friends and I were lucky enough to have sauna at Telakka. Telakka is home to a theater, gallery, as well as an excellent restaurant. Daily lunch specials of uncompromising quality and value served up by friendly, helpful staff make this place a must when visiting Tampere.

And if you get a chance to use their sauna, do not pass up this opportunity. Built by sauna-builder and artist Tapani Hietalahti, the Telakka sauna is, in my opinion, one of the finest that I have experienced in Finland. Extremely soft löyly (steam) and a relaxing atmosphere make for a fantastic sauna.




Kultturitalo Telakka (Telakka Cultural Center)



A view of the kiuas(stove).




The benches are a few meters above the floor. The kiuas is taller than I am.

2 comments:

  1. The sauna looks old, how old is it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that. It can't be more than a couple of decades old though since in its previous life the building was for grain storage.

    ReplyDelete